Friday, September 12, 2003

I never disliked Johnny Cash but I ignored him for years because I associated his music with my stepdad whom I did kinda dislike. And the only JC song I can remember him playing is "A Boy Named Sue" so that didn't help. I still don't care for that song, although it makes me smile to hear it in the context of the San Quentin album with the prisoner-audience obviously enjoying it. Call me backwards but it took people I respected at the time to make me pay attention: Michelle Shocked, Dwight Yoakam, Nick Cave, Tom Waits. All the signs were pointing back to that overcast bend in the road where a man in black was standing, flipping me the bird. So I shuffled back all hangdawg, hoping he'd understand the stepdad thing, and it turns out Johnny knew all about the Man and he didn't much care for him either.

I can't thank my friend Jennifer enough for taking me to see him play in Branson years ago. June Carter was there, in a skirt that almost gave us more than our ticket price. She was a lovely woman. It wasn't a fiery show but it certainly didn't feel like watching your grandparents trying to rock. I'm sure that's what some of the youngsters are thinking about the whole "Hurt" thing. Do the youngsters even listen to Nine Inch Nails anymore?
I like all the American Recordings albums, even if "Personal Jesus" makes me laugh every time. Someone is going to hear it and be as dismissive as I was 20 years ago. Don't do it, man!! I'll come pound on ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home